TOUR TITLE – OHTL – 06 – MIRIAKAMBA ROUTE.
TOUR CATEGORY – HUTS ACCOMMODATION.
TOUR LENGTH – 3 NIGHTS – 4 DAYS.
Day – 0 – From your Country – Kilimanjaro.
Begin Your Journey to Africa and Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport, where we are met on arrival and transferred to New Safari Hotel situated close to the Clock Tower, Center of Africa half way from Cairo and Cape Town for overnight BB.
Day 1: Arusha to Momella Gate (1,500m.) – Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m.)
Depart from your hotel in the morning for Momella Gate of Arusha National Park (1,500 m.)After park entrance formalities, we begin our hike, guided by a park ranger. The track passes open grassland, providing an opportunity to see buffalo, warthogs and other grazers.
The trail continues as a steady climb through montane forest. We take lunch near a giant Fig Tree arch. After lunch, the route continues through less dense forest, where there are an abundance of birds and black and white colobus monkeys.
By mid-afternoon, we can see towering cliffs and the Ash Cone. We reach Miriakamba Hut (2,514 m.), situated in an idyllic grassy glade, in time to enjoy the last of the afternoon sun and beautiful views over the surrounding plains towards Kilimanjaro. (4-6 hours walking).
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m.) to Saddle Hut (3,750 m.)
The walk from Miriakamba Hut to the saddle below Little Meru is a short day but a steep climb. We slowly ascend through lush montane forest to reach the halfway point of Elephant Ridge. From here we enjoy excellent views of the summit ridge and across the crater floor. The path continues through giant heather and other fascinating moorland vegetation to reach Saddle Hut (3,570 m), where lunch is will be provided. The afternoon is free to relax and to enjoy the views. The more energetic can make the short climb to the nearby summit of Little Meru (3,820 m) for superb views just before sunset. (3-5 hours walking).
Day 3: Saddle Hut (3,750 m.) to Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m.)
We start early at around 2 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m.), continuing along an undulating ridge of ash and rock to reach Cobra Point (4,350 m) at sunrise. The views are stunning: the cliffs of the Crater rim, the Ash Cone rising from the Crater floor, Kilimanjaro floating on the morning clouds and west towards the Rift Valley if the weather is clear.
The summit of Socialist Peak (4,566 m.) is an hour further on a good but steep path. The route back to Rhino Point in the morning light, on a narrow ridge between the sloping outer wall of the crater and the sheer cliffs of the inner wall, is one of the most dramatic and exhilarating walks in Africa. We enjoy a rest and brunch at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m, 10-12 hours walking).
Miriakamba Hut Note: The ridge between the summit and Rhino Point is not suitable for those suffering from vertigo. In icy conditions or in strong winds, it may be impossible for anyone to progress beyond Rhino Point.
Day 4: Miriakamba Hut (2,500 m.) to Momella Gate (1,500m.) – Hotel in Arusha
We take the direct route down through open grassland and mixed forest, with good chances of seeing wildlife. This trail has excellent views back towards the crater and over the plains of the National Park. We should reach Momella Gate by late morning (2-3 hours walking). Once you reach the end of the climb you will be transferred to your hotel.
End of your trek.
Our Price is based on the remarks below:
Minimum number – Two persons USD. 800 per person.
- The above prices are based on a minimum of 2 persons sharing costs.
- A price reduction is available for numbers above two persons sharing costs.
- From 3 to 5 persons booking a Climb with us a saving of USD.300 per person.
- Six persons may enjoy up to USD 400 saving on the per person rate.
- Little Serengeti – describes the open grassland.
- Ngurdoto Crater – The extinct ngurdoto volcano and the forest.
- Momella Lakes – The alkaline momella Lakes largely fed from under ground streams.
- 1 night Hotel accommodation in town hotels.
- Transfers to and from the Airport.
- Mountain huts accommodation.
- Guides and Porters salaries, accommodation, meals and entry fees.
- Park entry fees.
- Park rescue fees.
- Kilimanjaro certificates.
- Last Night accommodation in town hotels.
- Transfers to and from the Mountain base.
- Visa and vaccination fees.
- International and domestic flight tickets.
- Things of personal nature.
- Tips to driver guide, Hotel and Lodge staff.